On Saturday, February 23, the Rockies played their first Spring Training game of the 2013 season. Here are some quick notes about the first week of games.
- The Colorado Rockies are six games into their Spring Training schedule and are off to a 4-2 start. The Rockies’ four wins have been against the Diamondbacks, Rangers, Cubs, and Reds.
- Yesterday was the Rockies’ first of their six split-squad games of Spring Training. The Rox won the game, defeating the Padres 6-3.
- In the team’s six games they have scored 38 runs while only allowing 21 runs.
- Four of the five players who have hit home runs for the Rockies this spring are listed on MLB.com’s list of the top Rockies’ prospects. This includes 3B Nolan Arenado (#2 on the list), OF Tim Wheeler (#7), 2B Charlie Culberson (#14) and OF Corey Dickerson (#16).
- 2012 Sky Sox right-fielder Charlie Blackmon has gotten off to a hot start this spring, smacking three hits in five at-bats and scoring two runs.
- Another 2012 Sky Sox player that has played well to start spring training is pitcher Edgmer Escalona. The right-hander has appeared in two games and has struck out five batters in three innings while only allowing one run.
- The Rockies’ next five games are:
3/1 vs. Brewers 1:10 pm MST
3/2 vs. A’s 1:05 pm MST
3/3 vs. A’s 1:10 pm MST
3/4 vs. Mariners 1:05 pm MST
3/5 vs. Cubs 1:10 pm MST
This past weekend was very busy for Sox the Fox and the Sky Sox. The Sky Sox started off the weekend by attending the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women Fashion Show at the Macy’s at Chapel Hills Mall. The fashion show featured people of all ages wearing red to promote awareness for heart disease.
The next day fans could find the Sky Sox at Prospect Lake and the Air Force Academy. Sox the Fox headed to Prospect Lake to support the Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge! While Sox didn’t plunge he did cheer on the participants as they dove into the icy cold water.
The third event the Sky Sox attended last weekend was the San Diego State vs. Air Force basketball game. Air Force fans packed Clune Arena and saw the Falcons knock off the #22 ranked Aztecs 70-67.
The Sky Sox’ next event that they will be at is the Colorado Springs RV, Sport & Outdoor Show at the Colorado Springs Event Center. The Sox will be there all three days, February 15-17, so make sure to come out and stop by their booth for a chance to win four free tickets to opening weekend, April 4-7!
In a little over two months the Colorado Springs Sky Sox will take the field for their first game of the 2013 season. In preparation for the upcoming season Sox the Fox and the Sky Sox staff have been busy attending various events in the community.
Just last week Sox made an appearance at the Home and Landscaping Show at the Colorado Springs Event Center.
At the event the Sky Sox had a prize wheel and were giving out free Sky Sox merchandise to hundreds of fans!
This week the Sky Sox also hosted their first VIP Luncheon. The VIP Luncheon provides the Sky Sox with an opportunity to showcase the ball park and their hospitality options to local groups and organizations.
The Sky Sox will also be out at several events this weekend. Here is the schedule on when and where you can find the Sky Sox this weekend!
2/1 American Heart Association Fashion Show at the Chapel Hills Mall (5:00-7:30)
2/2 Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge (10:30 -2:00)
2/2 Air Force vs San Diego State MBB game. (Game starts at noon)