Spring Training Update – 2/28
On Saturday, February 23, the Rockies played their first Spring Training game of the 2013 season. Here are some quick notes about the first week of games.
- The Colorado Rockies are six games into their Spring Training schedule and are off to a 4-2 start. The Rockies’ four wins have been against the Diamondbacks, Rangers, Cubs, and Reds.
- Yesterday was the Rockies’ first of their six split-squad games of Spring Training. The Rox won the game, defeating the Padres 6-3.
- In the team’s six games they have scored 38 runs while only allowing 21 runs.
- Four of the five players who have hit home runs for the Rockies this spring are listed on MLB.com’s list of the top Rockies’ prospects. This includes 3B Nolan Arenado (#2 on the list), OF Tim Wheeler (#7), 2B Charlie Culberson (#14) and OF Corey Dickerson (#16).
- 2012 Sky Sox right-fielder Charlie Blackmon has gotten off to a hot start this spring, smacking three hits in five at-bats and scoring two runs.
- Another 2012 Sky Sox player that has played well to start spring training is pitcher Edgmer Escalona. The right-hander has appeared in two games and has struck out five batters in three innings while only allowing one run.
- The Rockies’ next five games are:
3/1 vs. Brewers 1:10 pm MST
3/2 vs. A’s 1:05 pm MST
3/3 vs. A’s 1:10 pm MST
3/4 vs. Mariners 1:05 pm MST
3/5 vs. Cubs 1:10 pm MST