Results tagged ‘ Jared Wells ’
Observations from last night’s game: 4-2 loss in series opener to Tacoma
- The Sky Sox were held to one hit through the first seven innings by Tacoma left-hander Anthony Vasquez
- Infielder Brandon Wood was a lone bright spot offensively for the Sky Sox last night, notching his second consecutive two-hit game. The former first-round pick and Minor League Player of the Year in 2005 is currently riding a four-game hitting streak, hitting .462 (6-for-13) during that stretch with last night’s solo homer and a total of four RBI and five runs scored. Wood is one of two players along with Hernan Iribarren that has reached safely in the Sky Sox last four games
- The bullpen continued its streak without allowing an earned run to 13.2 innings, giving up only two unearned runs in the sixth inning on a two-out bloop single to right field made possbile by a dropped infield fly ball with one out
- Colorado Springs right-handed reliever Jared Wells struck out the side for the second consecutive outing in the bottom of the eighth to keep the Sky Sox within striking range. Wells has struck out six of the seven batters he has faced this season, and has the second most strikeouts of any reliever in the PCL with six
Tonight’s Sky Sox starter: Christian Friedrich
- Suffered the loss in his Triple-A debut in the 2012 season opener April 5th at Reno, going five innings giving up four earned runs while striking out six Aces
- Spent his entire fourth professional season in 2011 at Double-A Tulsa where he made 25 starts, going 6-10 with a 5.00 ERA (133.1 IP, 74 ER) along with 103 strikeouts
- 2011 Texas League Midseason All-Star
Observations from last night’s game: 5-2 Loss to Reno Aces
- Christian Friedrich, Stephen Dodson and Jared Wells combined for 12 strikeouts, the most team strikeouts on a Sky Sox Opening Day as far back as 1990 (Box Score records for 1989 and 1988 season Opening Days unavailable). The 12 strikeouts also matched the season high for the Sky Sox all of last season, a number Colorado Springs reached nine times in 2011.
- Shortstop Tommy Field went 2-for-4 with an RBI in his Triple-A debut (Field had made his MLB debut in 2011, jumping straight from Double-A Tulsa, and batted .271 (13-for-48) with 3 RBI in 16 games replacing injured Troy Tulowitzki in September)
- Right-hander Jared Wells struck out side in the sixth inning in first Triple-A action since 4/16/10
Tonight’s Starter: Guillermo Moscoso
- The Sky Sox are Moscoso’s third Pacific Coast League team Moscoso has appeared with (Sacramento 2011, Oklahoma City 2009-10). Moscoso has a career record in the PCL of 15-14 and a 4.09 ERA (239.2 IP, 109 ER) with 44 career starts (47 appearances).
- He began last season at Triple-A Sacramento, but then was called up in May and made first Major League start on May 24th. Moscoso ranked second among AL rookies in ERA (3.38) and third in opponents batting average (.212), based on a minimum of 81.0 innings pitched, while also ranking fifth among AL rookies in wins (8)and tied for eighth in strikeouts (74).
- In the first transaction of the 2012 season for the Sky Sox, the Rockies have added right-handed pitcher Adam Ottavino to the Colorado Springs roster and moved infielder Brendan Harris to the Tri-City Dust Devils roster. Ottavino was claimed off waivers from the St. Louis Cardinals on April 3, 2012.