Observations from last night’s game: 5-2 Loss to Reno Aces
- Christian Friedrich, Stephen Dodson and Jared Wells combined for 12 strikeouts, the most team strikeouts on a Sky Sox Opening Day as far back as 1990 (Box Score records for 1989 and 1988 season Opening Days unavailable). The 12 strikeouts also matched the season high for the Sky Sox all of last season, a number Colorado Springs reached nine times in 2011.
- Shortstop Tommy Field went 2-for-4 with an RBI in his Triple-A debut (Field had made his MLB debut in 2011, jumping straight from Double-A Tulsa, and batted .271 (13-for-48) with 3 RBI in 16 games replacing injured Troy Tulowitzki in September)
- Right-hander Jared Wells struck out side in the sixth inning in first Triple-A action since 4/16/10
Tonight’s Starter: Guillermo Moscoso
- The Sky Sox are Moscoso’s third Pacific Coast League team Moscoso has appeared with (Sacramento 2011, Oklahoma City 2009-10). Moscoso has a career record in the PCL of 15-14 and a 4.09 ERA (239.2 IP, 109 ER) with 44 career starts (47 appearances).
- He began last season at Triple-A Sacramento, but then was called up in May and made first Major League start on May 24th. Moscoso ranked second among AL rookies in ERA (3.38) and third in opponents batting average (.212), based on a minimum of 81.0 innings pitched, while also ranking fifth among AL rookies in wins (8)and tied for eighth in strikeouts (74).
- In the first transaction of the 2012 season for the Sky Sox, the Rockies have added right-handed pitcher Adam Ottavino to the Colorado Springs roster and moved infielder Brendan Harris to the Tri-City Dust Devils roster. Ottavino was claimed off waivers from the St. Louis Cardinals on April 3, 2012.