Sky Sox Spring Training Update 3-15
The Sky Sox opening day game against the Reno Aces, is less than three weeks away and the Rockies are beginning to shape their roster for the upcoming season. On Monday, March 11, the Rox made a series of roster moves that included optioning nine players down to minor league camp including:
Right-handed pitchers (3): Chad Bettis, Parker Frazier, Dan Houston.
Left-handed pitcher (2): Tyler Anderson, Erick Threets.
Catchers (1): Lars Davis.
Infielders (1): Cristhian Adames.
Outfielder (2): Rafael Ortega, Kyle Parker.
- Pitchers Frazier, Houston, Threets and catcher Lars Davis were non-roster invitees to camp and Christian Adames and Rafael Ortega were on the 40-man roster to begin Spring Training and were optioned down.
- Out of those nine players, Rafael Ortega saw the most action in spring training. In eight games the 21-year old had three hits in six at-bats and two walks. Ortega made his Major League debut late last year, but spent the majority of the time with the Modesto Nuts where he hit .283 with 36 stolen bases.
- The Rockies continued their strong spring training by winning three out of their five games this past week.
- This past week also marked the beginning of Minor League camp. On Thursday, the Rockies and the Diamondbacks played a Double-A game and a Triple-A game. Both games featured players in the minor league camp as well as players still on the big league roster. Juan Nicasio was the star of the Triple-A game for Colorado as he went 4.2 innings and only gave up two hits.
- The Triple-A game also saw the return of 2012 Sox outfielder Charlie Blackmon. Blackmon has been kept out of action since March 1st because of an infected cut on his knee. In his return he went 1-6 with a walk.
- The Rockies’ next five games are:
- 3/15 vs. Reds 8:05 pm MDT
- 3/16 vs. Mariners 2:10 pm MDT
- 3/17 vs. Giants 4:15 pm MDT
- 3/18 vs. Reds 8:10 pm MDT
- 3/19 vs. Royals 2:05 pm MDT