Sky Sox Notes: 4/18 vs Tucson
Observations from last night’s game: 8-1 Rout of Tucson in Series Opener
- MOSCOSO’S K’S: Sky Sox starter Guillermo Moscoso notched his first win of the season, going 6.2 innings and striking out 10 Tucson Padres, the most strikeouts of any Sox starter this season. The ten strikeouts is the most by a Colorado Springs starter since July 17th, 2004, when Jeff Francis struck out 12 New Orleans Zephyrs at New Orleans. The ten strikeouts were the most at Security Service Field since Jason Young mowed down 11 Iowa Cubs on August 29th, 2002.
- SOX STREAKING: The Sky Sox have currently won four straight, and five of their last six games, and during the streak the Sky Sox have allowed just six total runs. Sky Sox starters have an ERA of 1.59 in their 22.2 combined innings pitched during the win streak, and have allowed just two earned runs in the last 17.2 innings. Before last night’s seven-run win, the largest margin of victory for the Sky Sox in 2012, Colorado Springs had won the previous three games by a combined three runs with two last at-bat wins.
- ROOM ABOVE .500: With last night’s 8-1 win, the Sky Sox now sit at 8-5, the most games above .500 the Sky Sox have been since May 12, 2010 when they were 18-15.
- THREE OR LESS: The Sky Sox have held their opponent to three runs or less in eight of the 13 games this season, and the Sox are undefeated in those games (8-0). Colorado Springs has not won a game when they allow more than three runs (0-5).
Today’s Sky Sox Starter: Carlos Torres (0-0, 4.00 ERA)
- Torres has never faced the Tucson Padres or any Tucson franchise in his career, as he is making his third career PCL start in tonight’s game.
- Only regular Sky Sox starting pitcher (Friedrich, Moscoso, Scahill, White) that the Sky Sox are undefeated when starting.
- Leads the Sky Sox in walks with six, issuing five in his first start of the 2012 season.
- Named the Triple-A Starting Pitcher of the Year by MiLB.com in 2009 while with the Charlotte Knights.